Your posts on various forums can help you get exposure for your site. At the same time, it will also help bring traffic to your web site. Of all the people who land at your site, a small percentage may even convert into your clients if they like what you have to offer.
The following steps will help you to use forums to the optimum:
* Find forums related to your niche: You can use the search engines to easily find such forums. Use the keywords “forum” or “discussion boards” along with your niche. Say, you are a web design company. Then you need to search for “web design forums” or “web design discussion boards”.
* Register and set your site URL in the signature: At the user control panel, you will the place for signature. Here, you need to put your website address. Everytime you post comment or start a thread in the forum, this signature will appear at the end. Thus, it will help bring visitors to your web site.
* Read the Rules and Regulations: Be careful to read the FAQs and rules of each forum where you register. This way you won’t run the risk of getting your posts deleted by the Forum Administrators. Remember to post in the proper categories and don’t spam the forum.
* Encourage input from other members: Create such posts that encourage the forum members to provide their input/opinion and gets them engaged in an interaction. As your article views increase, others will get curious to view and read it. Thus, a buzz will be created around what you talk and write about. All these will eventually get your site some reasonable traffic.
* Welcome critical assessment: In the “review my site” section of forums, you can ask for honest criticism of your site features. Remember-be prepared for garlands as well as brickbats.
* Understand what people want: You can use forums to develop your services and products. The best way to do this is to take a survey of other forum members. Forum members are usually very helpful and will give you insight into what they’ll buy and what they won’t. You can also get ideas about some articles, blog posts and new products/services from such feedback.
* Help others: Try to answer a question asked by another forum member or solve a problem for them. A good way of doing this could be directing them to your site/blog where an article or post discusses the matter. This will not only drive traffic to your site but also make people curious to investigate your web site further.
* Help improve the work of others: On the Internet, there are many plugins and themes that are free. You can create a better and modified version of these themes and plugins.